Medical and Lifestyle Writer and Editor
Barbara has been a writer and editor since 1989, and has been a freelance writer specializing in medicine and lifestyle since 1990. Her articles have appeared in publications such as the Lancet Oncology, Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Alternative Medicine Magazine, Consumer Reports, and Better Homes and Gardens. She also has several years of experience in editing CME articles. She began her career as a health and lifestyle writer for daily newspapers such as the Houston Post.
Award-winning medical writer and editor with 25 years of experience. Skillful project manager and expert at meeting deadlines.
Adept at writing and editing dramatic, informative articles for both consumer and scientific audiences.
Experienced in CME publications, scientific newsfeatures, and books for consumers and health professionals.
EDITING EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Managing Editor, Medical Publications
• Authored and/or edited over 40 8,000 word CME home study booklets, CME books and medical conference materials for physicians, nurses and other clinicians.
• Helped develop and provide project management and editing for a 300-page book on obesity and losing weight, Weight Perfect, and edited a book on preventive health for seniors, Successful Aging.
American Medical Writers Certificate program
BA in English Literature, cum laude, University of Virginia, 1979.
Freelance Medical Writing
• Contributed over 200 news and newsfeatures to scientific magazines and journals such as:
Medscape.com, a web site for clinicians
Aunt Minnie.com, a Web site for radiologists
Lower Extremity Review and Biomechanics Magazine, magazines for specialists in orthopedics, physical therapy and podiatry
Eyenet, the magazine of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
OncLive.com, a Web site about oncology
Everyday Urology: Oncology Insights
Stanford Medicine magazine
The Journal of COPD Management
The Journal of the National Cancer Institute
The Lancet Oncology
• Wrote and edited over 25 CME and medical articles on psychiatry and psychiatric pharmaceuticals, oncology, cardiovascular and pulmonary disease, emergency medicine, and hematology.
• Covered medical meetings in cardiology, oncology, hematology, internal medicine, ophthalmology, orthopedics, women’s health and obstetrics for medical trade newspapers and health communications companies.
Freelance Consumer Health, Design and Feature Writing
Health Magazines and Patient Education
• Wrote for Cancer Fighters Thrive, the magazine of the Cancer Treatment Centers of America. Wrote for MAMM magazine and Cure Magazine, magazines for cancer patients, and Hepatitis magazine. Subjects ranged from cancer risk assessment Web sites to palliative care to monoclonal antibody drugs.
• Helped write series of 100 8,000-word patient health education booklets for Time Inc. on conditions such as back pain, HIV and AIDS and drug and alcohol addiction.
Consumer Magazines and Web sites
• Contributed health articles to magazines such as Reader's Digest, Family Circle, Better Homes and Gardens, and Alternative Medicine magazine. Wrote regularly for Internet sites such as CBS Healthwatch.com, HealthDay.com and OnHealth.com. Subjects ranged from alternative remedies to women’s health.
Copyright Barbara Boughton. All Rights reserved.